About two hours of trying to sleep it dawned on me what was wrong, I got up and fixed the problem within a few minutes - Progress.
The initial problem was I had inadvertently ordered and installed the wrong Atmega328 part. The part that I installed is the "Atmega328-MU" and the desired part is the "Atmega328P-MU", the internal ID's were different, which confused me, the Arduino IDE, and Avrdude. After modifying a few files, all worked as expected. I set "fuses", downloaded the bootloader, and downloaded the Minima Sketch. All is well.
The "P" in the product number indicate a "picopower" device, which is what all of the Minima builders are using. Actually, the builders are using the "Atmega328P-PU", the "P" in "-PU" designates a Dual-Inline-Plastic package. Because I am building my Minima with very small parts, I am using the "-MU" package.
To avoid having a special configuration for my Minima build, I plan on ordering the correct "-MU" part.
Thanks to all those that have provided Comments, e-mails, and Assistance with this problem, a special thanks goes to Jeff for staying up very late at night on a Chat window.
Note: This morning, I also recovered my original damaged Minima Controller board, using the same strategy. Now I have two !!
UPDATE: Aug 3, 2014 22:26
For future reference, I used the following to "jump start" my new raw Atmega328-MU:
- I changed the ID for the m328p in the "avrdude.conf" file
- avrdude -F -b 19200 -c usbtiny -p m328p -v -e -U efuse:w:0x05:m -U hfuse:w:0xDE:m -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m
- See: http://www.codingwithcody.com/2011/04/arduino-default-fuse-settings/
- Used Arduino IDE to download the UNO bootloader
- Changed the ID for the m328p in the "avrdude.conf" file, back to the original
- Used the Arduion IDE to download a Sketch