Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Balloon QRSS Idea

My micro watt QRSS Transmitter is so small, light and inexpensive, I should "Fly it on a Balloon"?

See previous post.
  • At 25K feet, I wonder what range could be expected of 43uW QRSS transmitter?
  • I wonder what the Rules/Regs are regarding an experiment like this?
  • I wonder if I could get special permission from the FCC to have an MEPT transmitter out of my reach/control - until the battery runs out?
  • Just wondering, does the FCC have jurisdiction over 43uW Transmitters?
  • A centre feed 1.5 wave 30m Antenna could be the trailing support.
  • I need to do some more checking.
  • Would anyone like to join me on this adventure?
-

1 comment:

  1. Oh, and yes! I would love to join you on this adventure. I wanted to send up and experiment to send some telemetry and capture it via Amateur Radio.

    I found a book about Near Space exploration (1) that might be helpful. I haven't had a chance to read it but it talks about building Amateur Radio payloads that are launched by balloon. I bet the book has the information you seek.

    The FCC might not have jurisdiction over such a low power transmitter, but they do have ways to submit plans to the necessary agencies.

    ReplyDelete